Absolute Beginner’s Series VWD VB (Visual Web Developer Visual Basic) is a collection of fourteen lessons created by MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network). The course provides an introduction to Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, and is oriented to people interested in designing and building ASP.NET Web sites. The following are the lessons’ titles:
Lesson 1: Getting Started.
Lesson 2: Creating a User Interface.
Lesson 3: Events and Postback.
Lesson 4: Web Application State.
Lesson 5: Debugging and Tracing.
Lesson 6: Style sheets and Master Pages.
Lesson 7: Databinding.
Lesson 8: GridView and FormView Controls.
Lesson 9: Membership and Login Controls.
Lesson 10: Configuring, Building and Deploying.
Lessons 11 to 14: Building a Quiz engine.
You can either take these lessons on-line from the MSDN web page, or you can download them to your computer, so you don’t need to be connected during your study time.
The purpose of Lesson 7, “Databinding”, is to demonstrate how to add a SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Database to your website project. When you do that, what you get is a data-driven dynamic website. The lesson also presents new controls to retrieve data from the database. When you download and install this lesson, one new folder and one new subfolder will be created. The main folder with the name “Absolute Beginner’s Series VWD VB Lesson 7” will contain the following five files:
1. “07 VWD VB Lesson.wmv”, a 29 minutes Windows Media Video file with the lesson itself;
2. “07 VWD VB Lesson Transcript”, a 14 pages Microsoft Word document with the video transcription;
3. “EULA.ftr”, a Rich Text Format document containing license information;
4. “07 VWD VB Study Guide.pdf”, a 3 pages PDF document containing a few guidelines and instructions about the lesson, and some exercises to apply what was learned;
5. “07 VWD VB Study Guide Solution.wmv”, an 18 minutes Windows Media Video file containing the solution for the study guide.
The subfolder named “07 VWD VB Code” will contain some auxiliary files needed to execute the practice.
In order to give an idea of the structure and content of the lesson, the video starts showing the subjects and main goals to be achieved by the students. These are:
• Overview of the integrated SQL Server 2005 Express Edition tools.
• New ASP.NET 2.0 controls for databinding.
• Databinding in ASP.NET 2.0
o New light-weight databinding model,
o SqlDataSource object combines connection, sql commands, data management, etc.
The lesson video shows the computer screen at the time that the instructor explain what he is doing, this way it’s much easier to understand the actions being performed. This lesson is available for free for anyone who’s eager to learn but there are two prerequisites: Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, both are lessons available at MSDN web page.